The history of the church is these parts goes back 1,500 years to the sixth century AD when a Christian monastic foundation was established in Rosemarkie.
It is believed that the present Rosemarkie Church of Scotland (opened in 1821) stands on this site, and much authenticated archeaological evidence is available to support that conclusion. There is further early evidence that the centre of gravity of Christianity in this area moved about one mile to the west where a Cathedral was built; the ruins of a thirteenth-century successor to that building exist to this day, in Fortrose. The structures are carefully maintained by Historic Scotland.
The history of the church following the Reformation is fairly well documented for the Fortrose & Rosemarkie area and (concerning the Church of Scotland) culminates in the union of Fortrose Church of Scotland with Rosemarkie Church of Scotland into one parish, the present-day Parish of Fortrose and Rosemarkie. It is now linked with the nearby Parish of Avoch. Following the retirement of Rev Alan T McKean on 31st March 2017, the charge is now vacant. Rev Nick Archer is the interim moderator.
There is not space here to go into the details of the post-Reformation events and developments, but a few copies remain of a booklet entitled ‘A Short History of the Parish of Fortrose & Rosemarkie’ by Stuart Edmond.